Monday 23 January 2012

getting close now

This is my last week in Woodstock. 
I've resigned from all of my commitments. 
I've sold most of my furniture (including my bed). 
I've booked my train ticket (with a 50% off seat sale). 
I'm tying up loose ends.
I've secured an actual place to live...and it seems legitimate. 

And now the hard part...

...saying goodbye. I keep saying it's not goodbye, it's simply a so long. And that's true. It's hard to express just how important people are in my life right now!  I went from having three really great friends and a number of acquaintances in Saint John to falling in love with an entire community of people. Through the powers of the internet tubes, I will stay in touch with people, but it won't be the same. A tweet, blog post or text message is not the same as sitting for hours on end over a cup of coffee (or four). I'm one hundred per cent sure of my decision to take this next step, but that certainty doesn't make this week of goodbyes any less sad.

Since I've made the decision to leave, I've come to terms with the impact of leaving family and close friends, but I also know that they're the people I'll definitely stay in touch with. What is really starting to set in this week is how much I'm going to miss the people who've become big parts of my life on a daily basis.

The graphic designer I work with has become one of my closest confidantes; the handsome bartender at my favourite watering hole has become one of my favourite people to have conversations with as of late; the coffee crew I have quaint chats with each day 'round 10; the waves and friendly smiles of a community that I love, and a community that's welcomed me. Change is inevitable, and I'm excited to take on a new challenge. I'm also truly looking forward to a journey across the country on a train. It is most definitely with a heavy heart that I bid my farewell to Woodstock. Mark my words, I will be back to visit. (Take that as a threat or as a promise depending on what your opinion of me is).




                                                                                              


No comments:

Post a Comment