Friday 10 May 2013

The in crowd/the thin crowd

I feel like I should be upset by the exclusionary tactics of the Abercrombie and Fitch CEO that were recently publicized, but I'm not.
I've linked to the article that seems to have gone viral, but to sum it up, CEO Mike Jeffries says he only wants beautiful (read: thin) girls shopping in his stores and supporting his products.
Jeffries is not the first, nor will he be the last, clothing line CEO who excludes sects of he population. Whether it be price point, size or store location, 'popular' clothes are exclusionary by nature - yet walk into any high school and everyone has them.  How exclusive.
When I was in high school, the American Eagle (which is definitely more inclusive in its sizing) opened at McAllister Place in Saint John. Students at KVHS (and other schools I'm sure) flocked there like lemmings.  In the coming weeks, nearly everyone sported these American Eagle striped rugby shirts.
One of the things that struck me about what Jeffries said is that he wants people wearing his clothes to feel like one of the 'cool' kids. When I think back to the halls of my high school, I'm pretty my peers adorned in American Eagle were definitely the cool kids. But I thought everyone was cooler than me. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who felt that way because that is the nature of being a teenager.
If not fitting into Abercrombie and Fitch clothing is the thing that makes you feel alienated in high school, thank heavens it's not something worse. In an era where not even changing schools can stop cyber bullying, let those overpriced pieces of fabric inflict some pain. It will heal.
And then we'll all chuckle about the proverbial overpriced rugby shirts in the future. For those who felt like they were better in high school, they've really had nothing else to strive for.
Quite frankly, many of the kids who peak in high school often become adults who I don't have much interest in spending time with.
It's the collective struggle of adolescence that at least made me (and I'm sure I'm not alone) work hard, learn how to handle disappointment, and most importantly, laugh at myself.
Which brings me to Jeffries most striking point - thin is in. Duh. I've seen the outrage over this comment, but it's not like this is a new sentiment in fashion or in society.
I can't shop where many people shop, and of course that bothers me. I'm not immune to self-doubt; however, I still try to dress with flare (most of the time). More importantly, I'm a good friend, and I'm pretty sure I'm fun to be around. I don't wear Abercrombie and Fitch clothes, but now - at 30 years old - I feel like I'm in the in crowd. And even if I'm not - I still have a blast!

1 comment:

  1. Found your post interesting to read. I cant wait to see your post soon. Good luck for the upcoming update.This article is really very interesting and effective.

    Hoi An Day Trip From Tien Sa Port
    Phong Nha Pioneer Travel
    centralvietnampackagetour
    viettours
    mysontours

    ReplyDelete